19 enero 2009

Why do I want rounded corners in IE??

This is a question that comes to my mind from time to time. Indeed, every time I have to fix any weird aesthetic bug in an old IE or Firefox browser. Why do I worry about my pages not being the same "to the pixel" in all browsers?

I know, I know. Not everybody does. But even those who don't worry too much spend hours in getting shadowed rounded corners in IE by using complicated DIV layouts and esotheric CSS hacks. How many hours of experts' effort have been wasted in finding out an ellegant solution to a problem for which an ellegant solution already exists? How many hours do web developers spend looking for these solutions in Google every day? And this weekend, while reading about the newcoming Microsoft IE 8, I see they have not put support for my CSS best friends yet: text-shadow, box-shadow and border-radius :'(

I admit Microsoft's position is very easy to understand. Why add support for box shadows and rounded corners through CSS if everybody is using images to achieve the effect and, more importantly, they are used to? It is the famous thermodynamics law of minimal effort (or it was energy??).

Fair enough, I understand it very well. But if this is the case, then we have to "force" them to work somehow, and this is what I will try to do.

You may think my position now is rather extremist, but I have come to the decision of expending zero minutes maintaining "IE-compliant rounded corners" in my pages, and dedicate this time to convince others to do the same. If you use IE and want to see those nice shadows, I'm sorry, you better cry to Microsoft and beg them for improving their CSS repertoire, or move to another browser (Firefox 3.1, Safari, Opera...).

6 comentarios:

Scrooge dijo...

Sgrunt! For a little moment i thought
that Microsoft was in the right way, adding features for a better productivity and creating a real gap between itself and their competitors. Unfortunately something like this could broke their fluzo-condenser and become total existence negation.

Nodens dijo...

To be honest, their new version will have great improvements in CSS, HTML and Javascript. Well, improvements that will approach IE to what their competitors already do! ;-)

Scrooge dijo...

edit: could broke ---> could break
orthographic taliban mode off

El Operador dijo...

What happens to your mouths???
(Que qué os pasa en la boquita, que habáis rarito!)

Nodens dijo...

Pasa que este post quiero que lo lean el mayor número de informáticos posible, obviamente ;-)

He aprovechado a enlazar este blog con mi cuenta de facebook, así le doy más "proyección", juas juas! :-D

El Operador dijo...

Ooooh! Aaaaah! Es quiere decir que vas a publicar más a menudo, verdad? ;)